• In-depth knowledge of operating systems: Whether it’s Windows, Linux, or Mac, hiring managers generally look for competency in administering the operating system used in their company. Windows and Linux operating systems have been widely embraced and are good systems to start with, though it’s a good idea to check if your industry favors one over others.
• Familiarity with hardware: Working physical devices—such as servers or printers—will be an important part of a system administrator's job.
• Cloud computing skills: Familiarity with cloud applications like Office365, Google Cloud Platform, and AWS can give you a boost in the hiring process.
• Knowledge of networks: Being able to set up and maintain Local Area Networks (LAN) and Wide Area Networks (WAN), in addition to setting up network security features like firewalls, are often expected of system administrators. This might often be the case at smaller companies, where IT professionals are expected to wear many hats.
• Communication and interpersonal skills: In addition to working on a team, sysadmins will often be expected to help other employees that don’t have the same technical knowledge, through help desk support or other means. Being able to communicate well will be a key part of a system administrator’s successful day-to-day tasks.
This position has an annual salary range of $125,000 to $225,000 based on experience.
• Responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, network servers, and virtualization
• Install and upgrade computer components and software, manage virtual servers, and integrate automation processes
• Troubleshoot hardware and software errors by running diagnostics, documenting problems and resolutions, prioritizing problems, and assessing impact of issues
• Provide documentation and technical specifications to IT staff for planning and implementing new or upgrades of IT infrastructure
• Perform or delegate regular backup operations and implement appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedures
• Lead desktop and helpdesk support efforts, making sure all desktop applications, workstations, and related equipment problems are resolved in a timely manner with limited disruptions
• Responsible for capacity, storage planning, and database performance
• Associate or Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, System Administration, or a closely related field, or equivalent experience required
• 3-5 years of database, network administration, or system administration experience
• System administration and IT certifications in Linux, Microsoft, or other network related fields are a plus
• Working knowledge of virtualization, VMWare, or equivalent
• Strong knowledge of systems and networking software, hardware, and networking protocols
• Experience with scripting and automation tools
• A proven track record of developing and implementing IT strategy and plans
• Strong knowledge of implementing and effectively developing helpdesk and IT operations best practices, including expert knowledge of security, storage, data protection, and disaster recovery protocols
Founded in 2018 by an Account Executive who was being pushed to prop up an inferior solution to appease a large vendor. He refused in the interest of his client. The institutional vendor-partner relationship is based on the vendor "rewarding" VARs by providing direct to employee cash incentives, vendor-specific engineering training funds, and lead generation campaigns. This vendor-partner incentive cycle drives up prices and prevents your access to the newest innovative technologies.
We engineer transformative technology solutions for the world’s most creative companies. This takes imagination, relentless client service, and deep loyalty to a common goal. We’ve created partnerships with innovative emerging technology companies to help clients architect, implement, and deploy their vision.
Atlas7 is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.